Blog Post #7- Artists Observe

Patti Warashina is the artist responsible for the artwork “Censored”. In the artwork, there are two heads with different lights on their heads and black paint covering the mouth, eyes, and ears. After looking at the artwork, I believe that the artist is communicating the idea that people of different levels of intelligence are known to be censored and unable to communicate their ideas. In the artwork (Picture 1), the artist has black paint over the mouth of one of the heads. This can be interpreted as a person not being allowed to speak their mind. An example of this could be a person who speaks against a form of government. One of the heads has their eyes covered, which could represent someone who is not allowed to see something. The head whose ears are covered represents the failure or inability to hear. When looking at the different lights on the top of the heads, I believe that the type of censorship is dependent on the intelligence level of the heads. The head whose eyes are covered as the longest light on the top of it’s head. Noticing this gave me the idea that the censorship is based on intelligence.